Height & spread
Varies depending on species. Typically 0.5m x 0.5m
Bird (seed), bee and butterfly nectar plant
- Sun-loving plants with aromatic foliage and spikes of lavender blue, purple or white flowers in summer.
- Plant in purple pots for an extra splash of colour or terracotta pots for a Mediterranean garden.
- Use a John Innes compost with extra grit for drainage.
- For goldfinches and other birds to make use of the seeds, delay cutting off the seedheads until spring.
- Lavenders have a tendency to become woody at the base so prolong their life by clipping from a young age. Trim back to just above active growth in the spring.
- Will tolerate dry spells.