Deciduous or semi-evergreen shrub
Height & spread
3m x 3m
Bird (fruits and shelter), bee, butterfly nectar and moth caterpillar plant
- A dense, bushy plant, privet is good to mix with other screening plants and allowed to grow naturally. It is more reliably evergreen in milder areas. Avoid planting privet if honey fungus is a problem.
- Panicles of white flowers produced in early and midsummer, followed by shiny black berries.
- Berries eaten by Blackbird, Thrushes and Waxwing.
- Privet Hawk and Lilac Beauty Moth food plant.
- Bee nectar plant, especially Honey bees.