Height & spread
1.5-6m x 2-4m (depending on species and cultivar)
Bird (berries and shelter), bee, bumblebee and butterfly nectar plant
- A strong-growing evergreen shrub, suitable for growing against a wall without the need for support. Alternatively, can be grown as a free-standing shrub. Good on most soils.
- Clusters of white flowers in late spring or early summer are followed by red, orange or yellow berries, depending on species and cultivar.
- Blackcap, Song thrush, Waxwing known to eat berries. Red and orange berries claimed to be eaten well before yellow. Red eaten before orange.
- Adult butterflies will visit flowers for nectar.
- Bee and bumblebee plant.
- Flowers also good for insects such as hoverflies.