Evergreen shrub or tree
10-20m x 8-10m
Bird (berries and shelter), bee and moth caterpillar plant
- A handsome shrub or tree of slow to moderate growth. Produces red berries, set against dark green foliage.
- Tolerant of chalky or acid soils, sun or shade, this is a tough evergreen provided it does not become waterlogged. Unusual in conifers, yew will regrow if cut back hard into old wood.
- Fruits eaten by Blackbird, Blackcap, Fieldfare, Goldcrest, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Greenfinch, Jay, Mistle thrush, Moorhen, Nuthatch, Redstart, Robin, Song thrush, Starling, Tits, Waxwing and Woodpigeon.
- Favoured nesting site for Wren.
- Bees may visit for pollen.
- Black Arches Moth caterpillar food plant.